Saturday, March 6, 2010

My WIP's of Today

I worked on several quilts today and even started a new one. But I didn't finish any of them. Maybe tomorrow.

This is one of my minky quilts that I put together and then flipped and turned it right side out. I did a boys one too but didn't get a picture.

Then I pinned my wild jungle quilt together. Then I put it aside. I just don't know how to quilt it. I am not good enough to free motion quilt it so I put it aside to think about it and decide.

Then I put together the start of this cute sailboat quilt with my charm squares I got this week. They are Natical and Nice by Moda. I really like this one!!

Thursday, March 4, 2010

I Hate to Redo Things

I have decided to remove the border that I put on. This is not something I would ever do, but it needs to be done. I originally was going to put on a wider border, but at the last minute I decided to put on a smaller border and then add a second wider border

Well, that didn't work. I don't have enough fabric to put a wider 2nd border on and I really don't want to go buy 2 yards more just for 16 inches. So I am actually going to rip out the border and replace it with a wider border in the same fabric.

It really didn't take much time at all to take it out and redo it. I am much happier with it now. Maybe I will even put it together and start quilting it tonight. I did say "maybe" so we will see.

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Mail Day!

I've Got Mail!! Well actually I got this yesterday but I am still excited today. I saw that Cathy over at Quilting on Turtle hill bought this fat quarter pack of "Dolce" by Tanya Whelan for Free Spirit at Burgundy Buttons online for a great price. So of course I had to jump right over and buy one for myself too!! And a couple of more things....a honey bun with the Neptune collection and a Nautical Nice Charm Pack, which I already have plans for. Check out this quilt, Anchors Away. Isn't it cute. I think I know what I will make with the honey bun but I haven't really decided yet.

I love honey buns and jelly rolls from the top when you can see all the colors together. I love getting fabric delivered right to my door, it really makes my day. (Just don't tell my husband I bought MORE fabric too. That should be arriving in a couple of day. Eeek.)

Monday, March 1, 2010

Patience Was My Word of the Day

Okay I think my patience has finally paid off. Let me say I just spend the entire day attaching the binding to my quilt. Wow what a process. When I put the quilt together I acted like the back was the top and vise versa. It worked great for me and I centered the truck perfectly on the quilt.

But......then I had to attach the binding to the front. Ughhh. First I had to trim down the brown corduroy to 1/4 inch. Usually not a big deal but this quilt is so fluffy it was quite a taste. But not difficult. Then I went to attach the binding. I thought I was on the home stretch, this is usually the easy part. I didn't account for how fluffy the quilt was. I guess I am used to flatter ones. So this is where my pictures come in to explain.

First I had to put pins in the quilt top to keep the fluff down and so that the corduroy didn't bunch and get sewn into the binding.

Then I had to pin down the binding on top of the already pinned quilt. I know look at all those pins!!

This is what it ended up looking like before I sewed it on. CRAZY!!

But in the end it did work!! It was a lot of work and had to remind myself to go slow and it would all work out. But it was a long, long day. I think for once I will enjoy the easy process of hand sewing the binding down. There can't be any complications there.....can there?

A Very Busy Sunday

This project was very daunting to me. I have had it for a while and have been nervous every step along the way. It had a lot of first for me, my first applique, the first time working with corduroy and the first time figure out my own size measurements for the quilt based off the toddler's bed. It is a custom order and the design was totally her idea. Although the quilt itself looks simple it was really time consuming. One of the hardest parts for me was to figure out how to center the truck applique when I sandwiched it all together. It was very nervewracking and very time consuming. I just didn't want to mess up. I have a lot of time and money invested in this and I would hate to mess it up.

But I think it turned out awesome and all that is left is to put on the blue corduroy binding. So hopefully I will have the entire order finished any shipped off to its new home this week!! That will be very satisfying.